Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Peruvian Quinoa Stew

(The picture is a little dark...it's dark out :). Today was a long work day, and I didn't get home till about 8pm. I managed to stop for the essential groceries for this recipe (pretty simple) between work and my WW meeting. When I got home cooked this, ate it, and cleaned as much as I could in about 20 minutes, all while watching the first episode of Glee (which I love by the way). This is from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home Cookbook.

Peruvian Quinoa Stew

1/2 C quinoa
1 C water

2 Cups chopped onions
2garlic cloves, minced or pressed
2 T vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 carrot, cut on the diagonal into 1/4 inch thick slices
1 bell pepper (I used red), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup cubed zucchini
2 cups undrained chopped fresh or canned tomatoes (I used canned)
1 cup water or vegetable stock (I used water)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
pinch of cayenne
2 tsp fresh oregano (1 tsp dried)
salt to taste

Optional toppings: Cilantro, grated cheddar or monteray jack cheese (I used 1 oz part skim mozarella).

Cook the quinoa and set aside. Saute the onions and garlic in the oil for about 5-min. Add the carrots and celery and saute for another 5-min. Add everything else but the quinoa, salt and toppings and simmer till the veggies are cooked. Add the quinoa, season with salt and serve with topped with cilantro and/or cheese.

We really liked this- it is filling and nutritious and VERY tasty. An added bonus is that the ingredients are simple, easily on hand, and inexpensive. It will make great lunches too I think!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

ooooh! I am so trying this! and I just found the moosewood recipe book at vv a month ago!

Nike said...

Here are my reasons.though Hogans have stimulated a million dollars imitations, Hogan Sneakers the originals are even now the greatest.For the modern, fashionista in you, take a look at their new wedge heel designs.If they are not water proof, you would need to take an extra step in doing that on your own.What's more, Franklin Marshall Clothes seldom people will be dynamic in cold weather.In order to work as intended, snowhogan must not be allowed to accumulate snow on the tops.From Converse styles to lightweight hogan, D&G glasses plimsoll hogan really have it all this spring.