Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Plan.

So, to make a long story shorter - I started my degree in January of 2007. Normally, people start the degree in September. Typically, it is structured so that you take 2 courses (6 credits) per semester. So, I was 2 courses behind the cohort who started in September 2006. The school wonderfully allowed me to start a semester late (rather than waiting till the following Sept.), and the plan was for me to catch up to the cohort if I could by taking an extra course during 2 of the semesters.

Of course, thus far, I haven't done this. It didn't sound like it would be a problem. But, I've just discovered that due to the way courses are offered, my option is either to a) catch up to my start group by taking extra courses, and actually be done a semester earlier than I'd planned, or b) essentially take an extra year to finish my degree.

So, after some deliberation, I've decided to go with option A and catch up. This is exciting, as it means I'll be done all course work and internship by the end of this year (Dec 2008), but a bit anxiety-proking as it means taking and paying for 21 credits over the next two semesters. So, the plan is, so far:
Internsip and one course during the summer.
Internship, thesis and another course in the fall semester.

Then, if I manage it I will take the spring semester next year to finish off my thesis in time to do my oral defense in May 2009. Just over 1 year from now. Wow.

So, it will be a lot of work, but I think I can put the push in for two semesters to get myself caught up and finished most everything a semester earlier than planned, and a year earlier than I would be able to if I don't take these two heavy load semesters.

So there it is. I'm excited to be at least planning my last two semesters. That being said, I should probably try to get SOMEwhere with my coursework for this semester before it ends in a few weeks. lol.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so horribly jealous of you. And that is all I am going to say on that.

Magnificent M said...

Ugh, so glad you get to finish earlier rather than later but I know your worries on the costs! It will be good when done and the courseload itself will be doable but just a bit painful cost wise... but then... you are done!! I can't tell you how happy I am not to have any more of those exams to deal with!!

T. said...

You will be done soon too Lynn!!

M- hey...if I defended my thesis in May 2009...does that mean we might be doing it at the same time!?!

Kassianni said...

oi-vey!
bonne chance mon ami.
I will pray for you.
if there's anything I understand, it's condensed semesters.
harsh and brutal, but it rips the bandaid off quicker. yes? :)
you can do it!