Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Carrot soup and another good recipe site.

My new favorite recipe website is FatFreeVegan.com . I've been using recipes from this site for a while, but am finding it especially useful now that lent has begun, and I'm still trying to eat healthfully. It's so easy during lent to end up eating nothing but carbohydrates (bread, bread, more bread), but I think with this websites help, along with my "Everyday Vegan" cookbook and the Moosewood cookbook, I should be able to manage to eat properly.

Last night I made this AMAZING carrot soup. It is mostly a recipe I got from AllRecipes.com, but I merged it a bit with one from FatFree Vegan.com. I had SO many carrots and potatoes and onions from my most recent Spud orders, and thought soup would be a good use for them :-). What I came out with was the following:

Carrot Soup

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
6 large carrots, sliced
8 new potatoes, quartered
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 Can Coconut milk
2/3 Cup water.

Directions:

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook stirring often until onion is translucent. Add carrots and potatoes, and cook for just a few minutes to allow the carrots to sweat out some of their juices.

Pour the vegetable broth into the pot, and season with ginger, curry powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until carrots are tender.

Puree soup in small batches using a food processor or blender, or if you have an immersion blender, it can be done in the soup pot.

Add one can of coconut milk and 2/3 cup water. You can reduce the coconut milk and replace with water, or eliminate it completely to reduce the fat/calories, but it's sooooo good with the coconut milk :-).

Reheat soup if necessary, and serve. Makes 12 cups, 1 cup per serving.

Nutritional Information per 1 cup: 245.6 Calories, 8.0 grams fat, 0 cholesterol, 944.2mg sodium, 40.6g carbs, 6.0 g dietary fibre, 5.0g protein, lots of required daily vitamins and minerals.


It is a super tasty soup. I also made this mock-pumpkin-maple cream cheese thing there was a recipe for on FFV, which is pretty tasty, as well as a beet-carrot cake. Unfortunately I think I put the cake in the wrong kind of pan and it didn't cook through. Also, I think my whole wheat flour may be too old or something.

2 comments:

RW said...

This sounds good. I made a diaster tonight. It was bleak. So sad. I think I will try your carrot soup next.

T. said...

I made an attempt at a beet-carrot cake (had lots of these ingredients to use up), and it was an utter disaster - gooey and uncooked even after 20 minutes longer in the oven than directed, AND turns out my whole weat flour was a little "old" and tasted ooky.