Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Best Burgers in the world.

Now - I eat red meat on only VERY rare occasions. I very very rarely cook it. I saw this recipe on City Line over a year ago, and thought it was something worth remembering, partly because I knew D. would LOVE it. Sounded amazingly good to me as well.

Well. I made it. It is unlike any burger I've ever tasted. So stinking good, and I didn't even use the sirloin steak I was supposed to (just extra lean ground beef- I couldn't find the sirloin).

Here's the recipe:


Gourmet Sirloin Steak Burger with Brie
by Rose Reisman


You'll want to haul out the barbeque for these gourmet burgers.

3 cups sliced sweet onions1 tsp vegetable oil

1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
1 lb ground sirloin steak
3 tbsp minced green onions, whole onion
¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 tbsp barbecue sauce1
½ tsp crushed garlic
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 tsp dried basil
1 ½ oz brie, diced

In a large nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, heat the oil then add the onions. Sauté for five minutes just until soft. Reduce the heat to low, add the brown sugar and continue cooking for 10 minutes until browned and caramelized. Set aside.

To make the Burgers: combine the steak, green onion, bread crumbs, barbecue sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, egg and basil, then shape into five burgers.

Form a pocket in each burger and stuff evenly with diced brie. Make sure that the beef encloses the cheese completely.

Grill or sauté the burgers for about four minutes per side, until cooked. Serve with onions scattered overtop.

Serves five.

Here's the link to the online recipe so you can see the picture ;-) They are good on buns as well.

1 comment:

Coramie said...

So I made them tonight and good reports were noted. I used triple cream brie which melted into the burger leaving just the crust of the brie...and the burgers tasting exquisite. They were a little moist so I added rolled oats (an old Grandma trick), but other than that.....everything was the same. Served with steamed veggies and french bread and of course.....wine...a Deep Creek Pinot Noir. All in all...a menu to be repeated. Thank you!!